Dr. Alysha Nensi is an obstetrician and minimally invasive gynecologic surgeon at St. Michael’s Hospital and an Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto. She received her undergraduate medical degree at Western University and then completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at McMaster University. She pursued a two-year fellowship in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery at St. Michael’s Hospital while concurrently completing her Masters of Science in Healthcare Quality at Queen’s University.
Dr. Nensi’s research areas of interest include quality improvement and patient safety in gynecology, peri-operative optimization of surgical patients and Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) in minimally invasive surgery. Dr. Nensi sits on the Unity Health Patient Safety Council, the St. Michael’s Hospital Perioperative Quality and Patient Safety Committee and is the Physician Lead for the Unity Health SOS Project for Safe Specimen Handling.
Her clinical interests are broad and include minimally invasive surgery, including robotic and vaginal surgery, complex hysteroscopy, colposcopy and vulvar disorders. She is also actively involved in the St Michael’s Hospital Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery fellowship program.
- Misal, M., Girardo, M., Behbehani, S., Bindra, V., Hoffman, M. R., Lim, W. H., Nensi, A. & Wasson, M. N. (2022). Evaluating surgical complexity of endoscopic hysterectomy: an interrater and intrarater agreement study of novel scoring tool. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology.
- Gill, P., Nensi, A., Simpson, A. N., Nisenbaum, R., Sholzberg, M., & Robertson, D. (2021). Evaluating Rates of Preoperative Medical Optimization to Correct Anemia in Patients Undergoing Myomectomy. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery.
- McLeod, L. J., Nensi, A., Robertson, D., & Kives, S. (2021). Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Hysterectomy for Endometrial Hyperplasia or Grade 1 Endometrial Adenocarcinoma: A 10-year, Single-Centre Experience. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, 43(5), 557-563.
- Nensi, A., Gill, P., Simpson, A., Sholzberg, M., Hare, G., & Robertson, D. (2021). Impact of a Blood Conservation Bundle Checklist on Perioperative Transfusion Rates during Myomectomy. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, 28(2), 269-274.
- A Nensi, A Simpson, S Kives, R Lei, J D’Souza, D Robertson. (2020). Utilizing Lean Methodology to Optimize Operating Room Efficiency: A Multidisciplinary Process Mapping Exercise. American Journal of Medical Quality, 35(1), 91-91.
- Nensi, A., Yeung, G. W., Frecker, H., Kives, S., & Robertson, D. (2020). Measures to Reduce Perioperative and Intraoperative Blood Loss at Myomectomy: A Survey of Obstetrician–Gynaecologists. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, 42(5), 550-555.
- A Nensi, P Kennedy, D Small. (2019). Successful Antepartum Myomectomy of a Large Pedunculated Fibroid. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery, 35(6), 395-397.
- A Nensi, M Coll-Black, N Leyland, ML Sobel. (2018). Implementation of a same-day discharge protocol following total laparoscopic hysterectomy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, 40(1), 29-35.
- A Nensi, DA De Silva, P von Dadelszen, D Sawchuck, AR Synnes, J Crane, LA Magee. (2014). Effect of magnesium sulphate on fetal heart rate parameters: a systematic review. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, 36(12), 1055-1064.