Important Information for Visitors & Volunteers

Please review the different types of research visitors and volunteers provided in the table below to determine which one is right for you.

DescriptionWill they receive academic credit?Are they paid by Unity Health?If paid by Unity Health Toronto - Type of Tax Slip?Unity Health Toronto Employee?Forms/Instructions
Research Volunteers: Research volunteers are individuals, including students, who apply to a Unity Health supervisor to volunteer their time for a hospital-based research project or program.

Research volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.

Research Visitors: Visiting scientists or visiting students, including internationals, who come to the Hospital to further their own or their supervisor’s research projects. Research visitors can also be visiting staff (employees) who are part of an active collaboration with a Unity Health Researcher.

Note: Corporate Health has mandated that all Research Visitors/Volunteers who will be working onsite at Unity Health must have a valid Ontario COVID vaccine QR Code (minimum 2 doses).

If you are out of country/out of province, and will be working onsite in Toronto, you must apply for a Ontario COVID vaccine QR Code. You cannot be registered until you have one.

Instructions are below (you’ll be informed that it’ll take weeks to process, but typically it’s only a few days)

You can contact your local public health unit regarding next steps.

NoNoN/ANo Research Volunteers/Visitors:

Getting Started for Research Volunteers/Visitors

Forms for PI/Managers
Study Monitors: Are typically external representatives of the Sponsor who oversee the progress of a clinical study, and ensure that it is conducted, recorded, and reported in accordance with the protocol, Standard Operating Procedures, Good Clinical Practice and applicable regulatory requirement(s). NoNoN/ANoGetting Started for Study Monitors

Forms for PI/Manager

Remote Monitoring for Clinical Trials
Service Providers: A service agreement exists between the hospital and the service provider for certain research services to be provided to the Unity Health Researcher. Service Providers do not typically require access to hospital resources. If your Service Provider requires hospital access please contact the Research Employment Coordinator to discuss exceptions. NoNoN/ANoContact a Research Employment Coordinator
iBEST Affiliates: Individuals (affiliate scientists, engineers, clinicians, students and trainees) who are part of the Institute for Biomedical Engineering, Science & Technology (iBEST) partnership between Unity Health Toronto and Toronto Metropolitan University. NoNoN/ANoiBEST affiliate instructions from the Research Facilities website

For more information about Research Visitors, view the St. Michael’s Hospital research visitor policy (For Internal Use Only; Click Here for a step-by-step guide on how to externally access internal documents).

Please note: For International Trainees, student and visitor, Immigration Canada is now requiring a new process for all foreign workers – see our Guide to completing Immigration Canada’s Online Form.

Amend an Existing Position

Please contact the Research Employment Coordinator to amend an existing Visitor or Volunteer position.